W R I T I N G
- "Revelations: Drawings 1999-1970" - from the catalog of my 1999 retrospective at Exhibition Hall Mánes in Prague.
- "Circumstantial Evidence" - published in Individuals: Post-Movement Art in America (Alan Sondheim, editor; E. P. Dutton & Co., 1977, pages 122-135). Republished in The Museum of Rhythm (Natasha Ginwala and Daniel Muzyczuk, editors; Sternberg Press and Muzeum Sztuki Lodz, 2018, page 208).
- "Six Drawings" - published in The Paris Review, issue 73 (spring-summer 1978), pages 160-169.
- "Notes on Studying Art at Yale" - when the Yale Art Gallery bought 3 of my drawings, they asked me to write a short memoir about studying and teaching at Yale. This is what I sent them.
Some other published articles about art
- "Whole Earth Culture" (2002) - this was written for a Czech conference on "integral culture." It explains the motivations and impact of the Whole Earth Catalogs for people not familiar with these publications, with a brief description of my role in the magazines they spawned. Click here for a list of articles, reviews and portfolios that I wrote or edited for CoEvolution Quarterly and the Whole Earth Review.
- "The Internet Archive's Whole Earth Collection." I compiled this collection to mark the Whole Earth Catalog's 50th anniversary in 2018.
- "Media Licensing, Convergence and Globalization" - written for "Re:Activism - Redrawing the Boundaries of Media Activism," a conference at Central European University (Budapest, Hungary) 14-15 October 2005. A history of media licensing - uses and abuses.
- "Balkan Media Network: Final Report" (January 1996). The ZaMir network connected the warring republics of Yugoslavia from 1992 to 1996 with email service. ("ZaMir" means "for peace" in Serbo-Croatian.) During the long siege of Sarajevo, ZaMir was that city's only ongoing link to the outside world. Humanitarian aid agencies like the UN and the Red Cross used it, along with hundreds of journalists and NGOs and thousands of ordinary people. This was my final report to the sponsors, who knew ZaMir as the Balkan Media Network.
- "A Short History of Mice" (10 kb) - a true story written in 1975 and published in various places.
- Some things I've written about radio.